6.21.2011

I am not sure if this blogging by email business is going to work, partly because I'm not sure I have the right destination address memorized. If this actually shows up as a post, someone please comment on it so I know that it's working. Otherwise, I will assume that it doesn't work, and you will not hear from me again.
 
Anyway, China's really different from North America. I was surprised that Shanghai had all signs in Chinese AND English, but I think that's because of the recent World Expo. We were sitting in a restaurant and my uncle who lives in Vancouver was joking that there's more white people in Shanghai than there are in Vancouver. It's exaggerated, but at that moment, it was true that there was more white people in that restaurant (legit, btw) than I've ever seen in any Chinese restaurant in my life.
 
And then I took the high-speed train to Wuhan, and that was really culture shock because we passed about 5 hours worth of Asian countryside. I realized that I've never seen Asian countryside before, except in pictures and videos. It looks like... the stuff of pictures and videos. I always thought that fields were planted in squares like 田. I guess they're not. They apparently follow the contour of the land and it makes them look messy.
 
Enough of my countryside ignorance. There's some things you people should know. 9 out of 10 people who hear I'm going to Wuhan have never heard of it. And then I think they start imagining it as a village, because it's not Beijing or Shanghai. This is comparable to me telling a Chinese person that I go to school in San Diego, and them thinking that it's an obscure town because it's not New York or Los Angeles, the only two American cities they know. Wuhan is the fifth or sixth largest city in China. Thank you for your willingness to be taught. I find it insulting that people would think it's a village and ask if I would have internet.
 
Ok that's all I have time for now, but more later. If this works, that is. Remember, kids, leave me comments for more posts. :]

1 comment:

  1. Surprised you posted something here! I just happen to check it. How did you manage to do this? Glad you find fellowship! PTL! Don't be too surprised that there are plenty of ignorant people. Hopefully you are a reminder for them to learn.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete