7.02.2011

I was a 5 star hotel restaurant, and the sign over the CANTALOUPE said this:
 
Chocolate
哈密瓜 (translated: honeydew)
 
...although google translate is telling me that 哈密瓜 is cantaloupe, from my understanding it's honeydew.
 
In addition to some chocolate honeydew, I also had some frog fallopian tube in a papaya. This is a gourmet delicacy, not street food or homecooking, in case you were wondering. They wouldn't tell me what part of the frog it was, and no wonder, lol.
 
I also saw dragonflies and butterflies the size of small birds and a wild snake when we visited the countryside for one hour.
 
And purple yams! And trees growing IN a lake! And an herb that makes mosquitoes not bite you when you eat it!
 
Oh speaking of food, today my uncle was showing me around campus, and pointed out a bakery he said that made western snacks... breads and buns and things. Funny thing is, the stuff the "western" bakery sold is exactly what we call Asian bakery stuff. Like me! In America I'm Asian, and in Asia, I'm American! I understand you, little pineapple buns.
 
What else is fun (oh no, my English is becoming Engrish!)... when I speak Chinese here, no one thinks I'm American/Canadian (to heck with Ma Jie's claim that I have an American accent). They think I'm from Taiwan or Hong Kong. One person said I sounded a bit local. This, my friends, is dialect leveling. I speak generic southern Mandarin and everyone picks up on the characteristics that aren't local to them and thinks I'm from elsewhere. In reality, I'm a Mandarin speaker from nowhere. Real Taiwanese people would never think I'm from Taiwan. China for sure, they say. And I've never heard Hong Kong until I came here, but I dunno. They all sound very similar in my opinion. I'm probably somewhere in between.

1 comment: