8.14.2011

Today I was reading Leviticus, which is extremely random, but I was, and I was thinking, man, how can anyone EVER POSSIBLY remain clean, according to these laws?? For example, a woman becomes unclean on her period and when she gives birth. And similarly unavoidable things for men. Come on seriously, God, women were born to have periods and babies, how can you possibly call that unclean? It's our nature -- but so is sin! That's our nature too, but it's clearly unclean! We can't help it, just like we can't help our bodily functions! What's the point of these laws if it's just going to tell us that what we can't help is unclean? Maybe that IS the point of all these laws: we see that we have no hope of being clean by them -- Yes, exactly, says Romans 3:20!! Thus enter Jesus and grace. Beautiful. Jesus even shows up in Leviticus, what do you know.

You know what else I noticed? Romans 8:3 calls Jesus a sin offering. Leviticus 4 seems to indicate that sin offerings are for the forgiveness of unintentional sins (but wrong and guilt-incurring nonetheless). Unintentional sins?? But our Sin Offering, when he died, said to God, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." He apparently thought it was unintentional too (but I'm not exactly sure who "them" refers to)? Interesting link, but I'm not sure if that's saying that all sins are unintentional. Or that Jesus only died for the forgiveness of unintentional sins. I can imagine someone committing a sin deliberately, fully aware that it's wrong. But then, that's only imagination, and I can't claim to speak for them, because from my own memory, I cannot recall a single time that I committed a sin deliberately and intentionally, fully aware it's a sin. Maybe I should seek myself more? Or maybe that's just because I'm a nice person, but there's other, worse people out there who do commit sins fully aware that it's wrong and that they are about to do it? Who knows. I only know myself. But I really do wonder if all (or most) sins are unintentional. Maybe the sins that are done with full intention are ones where the sinner THINKS they're doing something right ("If I kill this person, I am bringing justice to the world; they deserve it"), and the rest are moral slips ("Oops, I didn't mean to smack you; I was angry and not thinking straight"). Maybe. Food for thought. I should like to know if anyone ever committed a sin, fully aware and in control of what they're doing, and fully aware that it's wrong.

PS sorry for raising unnecessary questions and possibly raising heretical possibilities. I'm always afraid when I notice things in the Bible that aren't part of mainstream teaching, because I might be raising some heresy -- or that others will thinking that I'm raising a heresy.

2 comments:

  1. hehe, mainstream teaching for one denomination might not be be mainstream for another. There is a good chance somebody would judge you some understanding as not mainstream, so? you are free to worship God the way you think is right, God judges better.

    Historically, many near eastern gods, including Egyptian gods, demanded certain sacred ways of sacrifice and cleansing practices, or you are risk of offending gods. So when Moses declared laws for true/highest God, Israelites were not surprised at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you search internet "ritual purification", Leviticus instructions might not be unique: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_purification. It is some branches of Christians that made it moralized more than others.

    ReplyDelete