I figured with the recent events, I should make some commentary as some people seem to have a hard time finding a middle ground between "pro-life" and "pro-choice." I am not sure which to classify myself as, as I seem to be both.
I am an OB/GYN who believes it is generally wrong to do/get an abortion, but that it should be legal. Now how does that figure? I want to explain.
While morally I don't want to kill babies, and theologically, I don't know when an independent human life begins, I would rather err on the side of caution, so I choose to not perform abortions at any gestational age, nor do I foresee myself ever getting one*.
However, there is international data that suggests that whether abortion is legal or illegal doesn't seem to affect the number of women who get abortions. I repeat, making abortion illegal does not seem to decrease the number of abortions being done. In fact, in areas where abortion is illegal is where the most abortions are performed**. What it does change is the number of women who get critically ill or even die from unsafe illegal abortions. And obviously most abortions are sought because the pregnancy was unwanted. Therefore it seems logical to me that abortion should remain legal, and contraception should be widely available to best decrease the number of abortions performed, based on the evidence.
Thus, I suppose I am both pro-life and pro-choice.
*PS many of my absolute statements above have exceptions but for readability I have omitted the copious other commentary I have on when I think independent life begins, exceptions when I would perform an abortion, and exceptions when I would get an abortion myself. No, I do not think independent human life begins at fertilization. Yes, I have performed abortions and I will continue to. And yes, there are situations when I would get an abortion myself. The general public does not seem to understand just how gray everything really is. When you do OB/GYN like me, you start to see more nuance. Feel free to ask me about my perspective and experience on any of the above.
**References: https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/induced-abortion-worldwide and Obstetrics and Gynecology in Low-Resource Settings by Nawal M. Nour.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDelete