5.23.2019

A recent conversation I had with my husband:

Me: These medical people are so goal oriented
Him: Well that make sense, the whole path of becoming a doctor is full of one goal after another.
Me: It is?
Him: Um yeah, like first you have to get into college, then get into medical school, then pass the board exams, then match into residency, etc
Me: ...Oh I guess it is.
Him: Don't tell me that's never occurred to you before either
Me: Um no.
Him: lol you're so different, you need me to explain medical students and residents to you
Me: Well I don't set goals. If you don't set goals you won't stress about reaching them. ... Well that's not true. I've made a bucket list once before. Here's my bucket list: I want to see the purchase of sex made illegal in the US during my lifetime. I want to see North Korea freed and opened to the gospel. I want the world to be better in my wake. Those are my goals. Why in the world would you make such small goals such as to match into residency? 

But I bet the truth is most people make small goals such as to match into residency. Jesus calls us to seek his Kingdom first. That means to spend your life fighting for the things that he fought for, bringing the healing and peace and redemption that Jesus embodied into this war-torn world. That means to have big goals such as the breaking of oppressive kingdoms like North Korea and such. Can't his kingdom come whether we are accepted or not, match or not, get in or not? Sometimes being "successful" in life such as becoming a doctor is helpful to God's kingdom, but God's kingdom sure as heck can function just as well without you being that doctor. I implore everyone reading this, even if it's just my future self, to ditch the small goals and instead replace them with Kingdom-sized goals. Life is less stressful and more meaningful when your goals are dependent on the Living God, not just your measly little self, to achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment